I finished Manta Ray yesterday during knitting group. Well actually, by finished I mean I still have to weave in the ends. Gist, Katy & the kids were the first to see her. I was really happy to finish with the kids around – they always get to see us working on our projects but we usually finish at another time and then they never see them again. They were all impressed and I told them that, with their current skills, they could also make one.
It has been a great project to work on and has been a huge factor in making the many, many meetings I’ve attended since I started the project bearable. It was actually a perfect meeting/bar trivia/social project – the pattern was easy to memorize and it was a lot of straight garter stitch but with just enough variation to keep it interesting. I didn’t have to pay attention to what I was knitting but it pulled me back in often enough with a well placed YO or K2TOG to let me know that I was actually knitting. The yarn was also lovely – very soft and the variegated colors always drew complements.
The only downside (and this is not the pattern’s fault, rather the knitter’s)? I don’t know what to do with it. I love, love, love the idea of shawls and wraps but in reality? I find them a bit awkward. Now I knew this going in but I just really wanted to make this project. I think I’m going to let her sit and see if she’ll become a gift or twisted into a big scarf-type thing (like the Meadow Flowers that Nance made has been) that will be worn by me. Only time will tell…
- Pattern: Manta Ray from Yarnplay by Lisa Shobhana Mason
- Yarn: Ummm, I don’t really know. The first four balls I bought at the Hub Mills Store. The brand was Idéna Mohair Lux in a multicolored pink (or so I thought) mohair blend. I’ve never seen it anywhere else. I went back to Hub Mills to get more and they let me know that it was discontinued but that the same mill was making the yarn for another company. Hub Mills ordered the new yarn in pink and it was the same yarn but the color was different – now my yarn was purple and the new yarn was pink. So I added two balls of Filatura di Crosa Multicolor in pink to the project. Basically I used about 1,000 yards of random mulitcolored mohair – this is certainly a one-of-a-kind project!
- Needles: Addi Turbos (yum) size 8.
- Started: Sunday, February 4th 2007.
- Finished: Friday, April 13th 2007. The bulk of the knitting was done at the strategic planning retreat, strategic planning meetings, staff meetings, bar trivia nights, and Friday knitting with the kids.