When we arrived, the sign said they weren’t yet open and the staff was still putting produce on the shelves but the owner welcomed Gist and me in to take a peek. The set-up is lovely and everyone working was incredibly friendly. The market has a gorgeous produce section and a nice selection of necessities – everything from cat food and Method cleaners (my fave) to a deli counter and staples like milk, bread and eggs. They’re also going to carry fresh baked goods and sandwiches. I was hoping to pick up fixins for tonight’s supper but, alas, it wasn’t to be. We did leave with a pack of gum – I think we may have been their first sale.
My love for the Basket is well known but the Market Street Market’s charm and friendliness will definitely have me stopping back!
I ended up doing my shopping at Market Basket. I haven’t been to the Basket on a weekend in ages and *oh my* it was crowded! I spent $31.15 on:
- Bacon (yes, a non-vegetarian item but c’mon, it’s freakin’ BACON!) for $2.99
- 1 head of cauliflower for $2.79
- 6 tangerines for $1.91
- 4 blood oranges for $1.74
- 1 bunch of scallions for $.50
- 3 russet potatoes for $1.97
- 1 jar of yeast for $4.99
- 1 package of Breyer’s ice cream (what happens when Gist comes shopping with me!) for $2.99
- 1 quart of milk for $1.59
- 1 small package of sour cream for $.69
- 1 1.5 liter bottle of Fillippo Berio extra-virgin olive oil, on sale for $8.99
How’d I do this week? $56.79 spent. On the menu on this cold, rainy night? Baked Potato Soup.